Tuesday 13 September 2016

Chosen Song

The song that I have chosen for my music video is ‘Bad Habits’ by The Last Shadow Puppets. The Last Shadow Puppets are a alternative/rock/baroque pop, supergroup consisting of Alex Turner (from the Arctic Monkeys) and Miles Kane (from The Rascals and as a solo artist). The song was released on January 10th 2016 as the lead single from the bands second studio album ‘Everything You’ve Come To Expect’ via Domino Recording Company. Brennan Carley from Spin magazine wrote that the song has got ‘a loud, insistent, urgent sound to it, with a prominent string section underscoring the chaos with a sense of unease. When the album was released, later on April 1st it went straight to Number One in the UK Album Charts. The album showcased more of the duo's orchestral-steeped sound. As the album and single are released under the record label, Domino Recording Company I will need to gain permission to use the song due to copyright reasons. 
The music video for the song was released the same day as the singles release. The Video shows both Turner and Kane performing in a studio with shots of them performing in other locations as well as shots and overlays of a women. There are a variety of different shot types including extreme close ups, mid shots and long shots. The video has both blue and red filters placed over certain clips which is a convention of alternative music videos. The music video was directed by Ben Chappell. 



I have chosen ‘Bad Habits’ because I feel that I can create a strong performance based video for it. I have decided not to create a narrative based music video for this song because the lyrics are quite random and appear to be unrelated, other than the repetition of ‘Bad Habits’. Despite this the song is very catching due to its fast pace and interesting use of orchestra instruments such as violins. Throughout the song there a quite a few scream like sounds, I think that this will be fun to lip-sync to in the video because I can experiment with editing a shot types. I like that the song is quite strange and different because it makes it stand out. I now need to come up with a more detailed plan for what I want to do in my music video and decided what actors, locations and shot types to use. But firstly I want to do some research into my target audience, following this I will then begin to plan and present my ideas to my chosen target audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment